Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Good Friends

Have you ever had a good friend in your life? No. Scratch that. Have you ever had a great friend in your life? She influenced you, listened to you, made you laugh, but most of all, loved you? Real unconditional love? Some of us are lucky to have a friend like that.
I've been thinking a lot about my friend. I've known her for many, many years. We've gone through a lot together. She is my sister. Well, not biologically, anyway. She's my friend-sister. Yeah!
I wanted to be just like my friend B. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to be my friend--I've always liked me--I just wanted to be a better version of me and she had some of the characteristics that I wanted.

This girl could talk to anyone. She'd make friends in a gas station. I loved that. I wanted to be that outgoing and trusting of people. She's no pushover, though. I saw the way people reacted to her humor and friendliness. I wanted that reaction, too. People were (and still are) so drawn to her. I used to think "What is it she does that makes people react the way they do?" So, I decided to "steal" that characteristic from her. :)
You would not believe how people react when you are nice to them. If I meet someone in a bad mood, I always try to be nice to them. If you're friendly to people you'll always get a smile from them. Try it! I learned this from my friend. She could make the grouchiest old man smile. I've seen it!

Once, we were both auditioning for the same part (a voice over) on a TV show a long time ago. The producer brought all of us into an office. B saw the furniture and said ,"Look! It's a casting couch!" I busted up laughing. The producer didn't know quite how to react to that. The look on his face was priceless! I don't remember what he said, but he was quite shocked. This is the kind of thing she'd do; she wasn't afraid of saying anything to anyone.

Oh, can this girl keep a secret!!! She's got other people's secrets locked up inside, I've been trying to get out of her for 20 years! From her, I've learned how to keep a promise. Now, when people tell me things, it stays with me.

What I'm trying to say is you can learn so much from your friends. I took what I thought was the best part of her personality and made it my own. The thing I wanted most to be was kind, funny, outgoing, and not afraid to talk to people. I learned how to do that from my friend. I thank B and love her a lot.

Hug your friend. She's precious.

Oh, and my friend got the part.

No comments: