Thursday, January 25, 2007

The first of a myriad of thoughts

Hello to all the women on this blog project! I'm happy to contribute my first musing of many.

I've been thinking a lot about the bigger picture... when I used to work in retail and two of my co-workers were bitching at each other about something, I just kept thinking how there are bigger problems in the world... and when my former manager kept hammering into me how important it was to finish everything on time, no matter what (steaming clothes, pricing things, etc.)... I just thought: "there's more than this."

I'm suddenly very disappointed in the world around me. I used to not really care because it didn't affect me and it was all far away from me. But the more I know, the more I'm horrified. And the more I want to do my part to make everything better... even if I can only do a tiny bit.

It finally occurred to me how much I have. Maybe this was brought on by everything I've been through during my life and I realized how precious the little things were that I used to take for granted... like making your own choices and having the ability to do whatever you please with the time that you have.

I was looking at websites the other night... volunteer organizations abroad, mostly. There's one called global volunteers where you can volunteer a few weeks of your time to go abroad and teach English, build homes, and help those who don't have a voice in this world. There was one where you could go to Afghanistan and join the fight to educate women who have been denied the right to read and write because of the laws. Maybe this is something I could do one day... since I know that every little drama in my life was not nearly as bad as what others are experiencing now. Soldiers fighting in Iraq have lost their lives or are missing limbs. Some people don't know where their next meal will come from. Some live in fear of death every day...

Could I make a difference? Going elsewhere someday would let me see parts of the world I never dreamed existed... meet people I would never have met otherwise... and experience things that will hopefully make me a better person.

Time to save up vacation hours.

-- Cat

2 comments:

womenswrites said...

I'm glad that these are the thoughts occupying space in your head, C! You have so much to offer others, and I know that your desire to travel/volunteer will happen!
When I was 23, I pursued the idea of joining the peace corps, and even began the application process. Unfortunately, I let my roots and responsibilities deepen in U.S. soil to the point where I only (sporadically) volunteer around town. If this is something you truly want, then do it!!! If I can help in any way (like getting you vaccinated, heh, heh) let me know ;)

you've got mad skills woman!

Anonymous said...

i agree! it's important to try and change things for the better, and i admire your interest in doing so! i think every little bit counts. it's exciting to consider the possibilities...(the other day i was flirting with the idea of quitting my job and moving to new orleans to teach!)

good luck with whatever you decide to pursue!!