Thursday, January 11, 2007

Intros & Balloons

Noelle/27/Japanese American/ Fund Development for Nonprofit

Hello fellow ladies! Thanks to Simone for including me in on this fun project! I know it will inspire me to write more frequently see I rarely post on my personal blog. Anyway, it is nice to meet you ladies and already great things are happening like engagements, empowerment, and smiles!

A side note about me: I have a strange sense of humor and happiness. Kinda like the movie Amelie. I am amused by small things and if you ask Miles (my special friend ☺ I hate the word “boyfriend”), he would confirm that I like to imagine googlie eyes on inanimate objects.

Now on to my first entry…
Yesterday I was driving around downtown LA doing some work errands like buying paper, snacks and postage when I came across a very unique sight. Although depressing, it made me smile and for some reason gave me a bit of hope. Generally when I step outside of my office I come across a huge homeless community many chilling on the sidewalk, some doing drugs, some reading, etc. I was driving down 4th Street (a one way street) right in the heart of Skid Row just a block away from my office and from a distance I could see these two balloon columns. You know the kind with the big balloon on top and the other smaller balloons spiraling down to make a column of balloons. They were bright red and yellow. I thought someone must be picking them up for a party but as I drove closer I realized they were each in their own shopping cart being pushed by a very smiley homeless woman. The columns must have been about 8 feet tall. They had quite a presence in Skid Row. She pushed them up the street near the gutter and although I am sure her life is quite tough, she seemed so happy with her balloons. I smiled as I drove by.

On my way back from running errands, I was driving up 3rd St. and happened to look down one of the side streets. The first thing I noticed was the two balloon columns again, one on each side of the street while the same woman took a rest on the sidewalk. It’s amazing how a simple piece of latex blown up by helium can bring smiles to faces.

This entry is dedicated to the numerous homeless women who struggle to survive and provide for their families.

No comments: