Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The right of way (not really a feminist topic)

Why is it that I find myself nearly run over, up to four times a day, as I walk from the parking lot to my workplace? Mind you, I'm using designated sidewalks, crosswalks with bright day-glow yellow pedestrian crossing signs, painted signs on the roads, and painted crosswalk markings on the road. I just do not understand why cars insist they must go, NOW. What - letting a pedestrian cross the street would slow you down that significantly? Are you going to lose your life over it? Because they're definitely risking mine.

A few weeks ago, I was crossing a drive-way on the sidewalk, in front of a car that was stopped there, waiting for traffic to clear. When I was right in front of the car, the driver, who was on her cell phone, released her brake, almost hit me and scared the living daylights out of me. Did she apologize for or even acknowledge scaring the shit out of me? No, she went right on gabbing on her phone.

This week, I was in the middle of a cross-walk, and the car refused to slow down or stop. As I finished crossing the lane, and the car was inches from my feet, I shot the driver a condescending look, and then got honked at. WTF? Did I not get out of YOUR way fast enough?

Am I the only person out there that thinks pedestrians should be allowed to cross at crosswalks? When I'm in my car, I usually let pedestrians go ahead of me. That way, I won't run them over if they decide to run across the street, and besides, they're usually colder/wetter/tireder than I am in my sheltering vehicle.

Seriously, when did drivers get to be so atrocious and disrespectful regarding pedestrians?

3 comments:

monie love said...

I AGREE 100%!!! this is a constant source of frustration for me as well, as a frequent pedestrian who's also been almost hit on many occasions while using crosswalks. i find that one of the following is usually the source of the problem: an idiot on a cell phone, a sportscar, or an SUV. sometimes i really feel like a walking target for bad drivers!

Anonymous said...

This morning on my way to work, I saw a woman narrowly escape being hit by a car. She was a few feet into the designated crosswalk, but a van sped by her anyway, barely missing her by maybe 6 inches or so!

dolly said...

I hate crappy, careless drivers too!!!
I don't think people appreciate the capacity for harm that driving has...peeps only feel the brief and isolated power it gives 'em.
As a person who was once hit by a car...yes, pedestrians DO deserve the R.O.W.
I don't always drive as well as I should, but I will try to be more considerate.