Saturday, January 13, 2007

Traveling Solo

As a Sagitarius, I like to get out and travel and be free. But as a woman is it really possible to travel and be free? Not really. We constantly need to look over our shoulders and in some countries make sure that we are dressing appropriately. Anyway, I bring this up because recently a friend from high school just got back from traveling all over Mexico for two weeks. I was jealous for two reasons. 1) He got to take the time off to travel 2) He went solo. As he told me about his trip I was in awe of something I will never be able to do. Maybe that is pessimistic but I think it is close to the truth. Women aren't able to enjoy the same privilege as men when it comes to traveling solo. I don't think it even crossed my friend's mind, how lucky he is. I don't think I'd want to travel all the time solo because I think part of the beauty of traveling is sharing the experience with someone but every so often it might be nice.

1 comment:

O.I. said...

hi, nitoito! julia here - we haven't officially met (hi!) but I am a new poster on womenswrites and a good friend of simone's. traveling solo is a favorite thing of mine to do; like you, i like to feel free. I started traveling alone because it was so difficult to coordinate trips with my friends - we never had time off at the same time, not to mention funds at the same time. I took my first solo trip in 2003, to England when I desperately needed a break from the grind and absolutely loved it. I've never had a problem entertaining myself and I find it much easier to meet new folks when you're on your own. But, yes, as a woman, you sometimes do have to be more guarded, especially on the night scene. I recently just moved to Japan with knowing only a friend of a friend and while I am making buddies and having fun right off the bat, I still don't really know any of them to be perfectly honest. I went out last night with my new (male) coworkers and while they felt free to get as trashed as they wanted on sake and beer, I had to be careful to drink only a little - the last thing I need is to be drunk at the mercy of 7 male near-strangers. It's an unfortunate reality - I have dreams of sitting under a spigot at the Guinness factory in Dublin but if I travel alone (as I so love to do), this is probably not a thing I can do comfortably.

Oh, another thing that is more difficult when traveling solo - getting pictures of yourself. ;) i have become a master with the self timer and asking strangers to take a shot of me ... but, no, it isn't quite the same.

nontheless ... there really is nothing quite like heading off by yourself to a place where you know nobody. you find things out about yourself that you never knew you never knew ... i can't recommend it enough!