Monday, January 15, 2007

MLK Jr. Holiday

It's Martin Luther King day here in the US.

I'm disappointed that many years after the Civil Rights Movement, we're still fighting prejudice. Let me tell you of something that happened to me and how, in our own small way, we can fight it.

A friend of mine told me about a meeting he had with some executives. One of the board members asked "Isn't Monday a holiday?" "Yes" said the VP and continued, "Just think. If we'd of shot six more of those n*****s, we could of had a whole week off!"
The first thing I asked my friend who relayed this story, "Weren't you shocked? Didn't you say something about how that offended you?"
"Um, no."
"Did anyone laugh at that disgusting joke?" I asked.
"Yeah, they did." He said.
"Did YOU laugh?"
"No. I thought it was a terrible joke" He said.
"Why didn't you SAY that??" I said, shocked by his ability to keep quiet. I would have ripped them a new one. :)
"Well", my friend said, "I don't know. I just let it go."

Just let it go. How many times do we "just let it go" and keep quiet? I'm tired of letting it go. I'm so tired of it that the next time the situation came up, I strongly voiced my anger at the disparaging comment. Now, of course, I'm labeled as a trouble maker. I don't care. People of the Civil Rights Movement suffered a lot more than just the embarrassment of being mocked by others. I'm tired of gay jokes, women bashing jokes, the list could go on....

"What's the harm?" someone said. "They're just jokes." It's not the jokes that are so disgusting (well, yeah, that's it too), but it's the people laughing when they should be standing up and saying "Wait a minute. That's very offensive."

I may not be marching, but I'm trying to do my best in my own little world.

Peace and love to all of my sisters (and brothers who may be reading this.)

~Joanneeeeeeeeeeeee

1 comment:

nitoito said...

Amen to your post! I am totally disgusted and shocked at the same time. I know prejudice and racism still takes place all the time but I continue to be shocked when it crosses my path which is unfortunately fairly often. I use to always feel caught off guard when comments like that were made but I found a good way to respond to any kinda of shit like that is saying "what do you mean by that." It kinda catches people off guard and then they have to explain themselves . At which point you have had the time to kinda think of how to counter their racism, bigotry, homophobia, etc.

Happy Birthday MLK. What would the world be like if you were still around today?