Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Introducing: myself

thanks, first of all, to simone for inviting me. i am impressed by the project and grateful for the opportunity to share my thoughts with like-minded women.

hello! i'm da and i thought i'd introduce myself to this community of writers in my first post.

in a nutshell: da/22/chinese/almost med-student/sf bay area

i was destined to be a feminist at the age of six. at the age of six, i realized (as much as my six-year-old mind could) that my mother was unhappy because of unfair and unfounded gendered expectations. by the time i hit middle school, my mom thought i'd be a bitter man-hating lesbian when i grew up.

in high school, i was driven to prove anything and anyone wrong, especially those who thought my eventual and proper place in life would be in the kitchen (my grandma's expectations, mostly). but, i shied away from the label 'feminist' because those that used the label also used leg hair (or lack thereof) as a political statement.

college was definitely a fun time. i was both in a sorority and part of the women's community center. at first these seem like diabolically opposed organizations with opposite goals, but in reality, today's young women want many of the same broad things: opportunity, individuality, success (however it may be defined), happiness.

currently, i'm doing a gap/research/slacker year until i go to med school this august. i'm sure med school will give me more fodder for feminist musings.

anyway, kudos to simone, et al; i think this is a great project - i hope it helps generate the momentum we need to define feminism for our generation!

No comments: